Friday, May 04, 2007

Edmonton

On Tuesday, I had to go to our head office in Edmonton for a conference. There were 3 of us from our branch here in Vancouver who had to go, so we left super early on Tuesday morning and came back Wednesday afternoon. Here are a few of my observations of Edmonton, our company, and travelling for work:

1. Edmonton is drab and brown.
At least what I saw of it. We stuck mainly in the industrial/West Ed Mall part of town. And what I saw was drab and brown.

2. Food just seems to taste better when you don't have to pay for it.
The CA team went to Red Lobster on Tuesday night, armed with one of the head honcho's credit card. Our pants were bursting by the time we left. If it wasn't so damn early the next morning, we would have made it for breakfast too.

3. Our outside sales reps are spoiled rotten.
They put us up at the Days Inn, and it was not bad. I was surrounded by 6 fluffy pillows when I went to sleep. The bathroom even had a nice ceiling heat lamp. Yet our sales reps would give us a lock of mock horror and sympathy when we tell them where we're staying. They're prob used to staying at 5-star hotels with their nice expense accounts.

4. Hotel TV seems to have better shows.
Not really, as it's the same channel listing as residential. Murphy's Law states that when you're bored at home there's nothing to watch on TV, yet when you need to go to sleep early you find something on TV that you just HAVE to watch.
I was flipping thru the channels in between breaks of the hockey game, when I saw they were showing back-to-back epidoes of The Surreal Life. I've never watched the show, but I found myself sucked in, until past midnight. I was hoping that Janice Dickinson would bitch-slap Amorosa, but of course, they left me hanging.

5. Walking the West Ed Mall when you're tired is pure torture.
They need to have those mini-trains like in Metrotown, but for adults.

6. Our company cars are old.
We got to use one while we were there. It had an ancient cassette deck.
I think there is some rule that company cars cannot have cd players, as the service trucks here are like that too.

7. Getting up at 5am for work is just too bloody early!!
Actually I shouldn't complain as Michelle and Bonnie had to wake up at 4am cos they were farther from the airport. They wanted to start the conference at 11am so we had to catch the first flight. We were dead tired by the end of the day. Next time, we have to demand that they fly us in the night before so we can sleep in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home